Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tony's Always Right Tuesdays aka Diary of a Hater

and by Tuesday I mean Wednesday. Phew, good thing I left this day open, or I'd be screwed.

I am sorry to my loyal readers (just kidding) for missing Tuesday. First you have to go through a Tuesday without Lost, and now this? I hope you didn't kill yourself.

I have AT&T, my phone is crap and malfunctioning and I am in dire need of a new one. I know what you're thinking, like any other pseudo-hipster on the go, I should have an iPhone. And I would, if not for the iPhone being a horrible, fascist emporer's-new-clothes turd.
I am pretty anti-Apple as a whole. I think their computers and products, across the board, are dumbed-down versions of their more able, non-Jobsian products.


Have fun on your MacBook!

Things Apple does well: product design, marketing
Apple makes gorgeous products and some of the best packaging I have ever seen. That's a great way to sell products, but hey, guess what, they suck.

They are wildly overpriced. A comparable laptop costs a fraction of a MacBook. You are paying for this pretty packaging and image. Does that sound like something you really want to do?

I don't want to hear the myths either. Apple computers are no more capable of handling any program than any PC. I've handle the Adobe suite on both - there's no difference. The things that make it seem better are actually pretty crappy moves from Jobs. They lock down their computers to make them seem streamlined and easy to use. Sure it's easy to use if you lose half the functionality.

The iPhone is ubiquitous. The idea of an ap marketplace is exciting and appealing - until you see what they are doing. Any ap on the marketplace is approved by Apple. This for-your-benefit mothering is terrifying. I thought Apple was supposed to be the computers for the creative, free thinking sect. I guess it's really for the I-want-you-to-think-I'm-creative-and-free-thinking-but-I-can't-make-my-own-decisions-and-need-someone-to-tell-me-what-to-do sect. I can't stand the iPhone. The constant synching, the shitty keyboard, the iTunes or die etc etc etc. I don't have iTunes because I don't have an iPod - and I don't want it.

The iPad is a perfect example of what Apple is doing. The iPad is an inferior tablet computer, dumbed down, stripped of interesting features and marketed as something new and groundbreaking. It isn't new, it isn't groundbreaking and it is way too expensive. The only reason they have presented for you needing to buy one is "you need to buy one"
Don't.

My real beef with Apple is that they front. They are fronters. They act like they are the computer for creative types, they are friendly and kind, they aren't Microsoft. But they are, they are a massive profit machine who makes products that are lowest common denominator. Products that are much better suited for non-creative types. They are the same as Microsoft in their philosophy. Bill gates doesn't front. Microsoft is a tech giant and act like it. Be what you are.

So anyway, I'm waiting for a good Android phone to come out for AT&T. Apple's grip on AT&T is keeping the good Android phones off my shelves. Thanks again, Apple.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing "Tony's always right" NEVER applies to arguments with April, where we both know who is always right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't really matter who is "right" - as long as I always feel right.

    ReplyDelete