Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tony's Always Right Tuesdays

As both a hater and an elitist, nothing is worse than when something goes from underrated to overrated. These twitter days, it's tough for anything to remain underrated for long. People glom onto something with even a shimmer of potential coolness and run it into the ground. Any/all types of bicycles, Carlos Ruiz, alt-country, eating fads - everything comes and goes so quickly anymore.
I really think accessibility is to blame/praise for this. Bitter old man rant begin: When I was younger, new music was sought out. You found it at shows, on merch tables in the back, at shitty record stores you took the train to - it wasn't on Itunes or LimeWire or whatever. You earned these bands, you had to try at least a little to hear them. You couldn't google them and they didn't friend request you. Bitter old man rant over. Just kidding, it's ubiquitous.

I think these things become so overrated so quickly because people can't just like something new, they have to love it - to show how cool they are. The more someone likes something, the more credibility they have. I like Animal Collective more than you do! You might like them but I downloaded ALL their albums! They're the next Beach Boys! The hype grows, the quality fades and we are left holding our LPs wondering.

I'm so old. Everything is ironic. Everything is hype. Irony is a dead scene.



I don't care how ironic you're being, you look like an asshole.

My point is, you aren't missing anything. If you think something sucks, it's because it sucks. When your whole life and persona are based on acting like something is cool because it isn't - you're an idiot. Your tastes have become so perverted and collective you have no clue what is or isn't actually awesome anymore. I like Motley Crue - sorry for the lack of umlauts - not because they are ironic but because I enjoy their songs. I don't like Poison, they suck. Winger sucks. Get it? You like the hair metal band with good songs! Not the one with the ugliest outfits or cheesiest image.

Got my first GAFABP submission yesterday, keep them coming! Got that little box that should work for submissions (you can submit anonymously there, no email required).

No comments:

Post a Comment