Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vanity

So I just read Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs. Another non-book book. But it was pretty interesting. I never caught this one the first time around when everyone else did, so I felt I kinda owed it to Chuck.

He is a total hater and pop culture whore, so I kind of could relate.

He proposed some interesting hypothetical scenarios. The one I found the most interesting I asked a bunch of my male friends. To my surprise, I was the only one who chose one of the options, while they all agreed on the other.

Here is the scenario, paraphrased:

Would you rather sleep with the one person in the world you most want to sleep with (celebrity, whatever), but NO ONE can ever know...

OR

Would you rather be seen in public hand in hand with this person for a long enough time that everyone THINKS you slept with them, but you don't actually get to sleep with them.

Would you rather have the 5, 10, 15 minutes of visceral experience with the person you most desire, or the vanity and notoriety associated with it, if you had to choose between the two?

To me, the choice was obvious. But ALL my male friends disagreed with me. I wonder what this says about me. I have my theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment