Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Gimmicky

Another.

Today's playlist is a bit of a challenge for me since I don't like relaxing and my musical vocabulary proves it.

The best part of this was definitely scrolling through unhappy hipsters looking for a suitable picture. Plus I feel even less bad for stealing their pictures than I usually do, since most of theirs are pinched from Dwell (which I am suddenly ashamed to read). That website certainly captures (sarcastically) the existential dismay that is living in fancy, post-modern homes.

This is a playlist for a Sunday morning. Perhaps you've woken up next to a comely companion, perhaps you'll joyfully waste the day away, perhaps this moment plucked from your life is one that will stick with you curiously, perhaps perhaps perhaps.


It was really hard not to use Helvetica for this. It just felt so right it was wrong. Click me!

1. I Don't Mind - The Decemberists What are the chances the fictional couple in that picture don't listen to The Decemberists? None? Less than that? I also enjoy them. Crap.
2. Mambo Sun - T. Rex I find glam relaxing. Plus this song would totally impress a lady waking up next to me. T. Rex has one of the best band names and album covers ever.
3. This Must Be The Place - The Talking Heads Sticking with the glammish theme here, I love this song
4. Relative Ways - ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead One of their mellowest songs - I can't believe this is their first appearance on one of my playlists.
5. Velouria - The Bad Plus A three piece jazz ensemble covering The Pixies? I win at hipness.
6. I Shall Be Released - The Band One of two bands my parents got me into.
7. Thirteen - Big Star You have to like Big Star if you want to be respected by anyone. Alex Chilton is an indie-rock god and has a Replacements song named after him
8. Paper Boats - Nada Surf The band best known for the late 90's MTV anthem "Popular" made some great records.
9. Bees Bein' Strugglin' - The Octopus Project An experimental electronic band from Austin named after a cephalopod? Scene points through the roof!
10. Cut Your Hair - Pavement Sometimes I want to hear some A-list college rock, ok?
11. Section 9 (Light & Day/Reach for the Sun) - Polyphonic Spree This song makes me inexplicably happy. Deal with it.
12. Hey Sandy - Polaris You know this song, even if you don't know you know it. Look it up, you'll be awesomely surprised when you hear it.
13. Gorilla Meat - Jogger A pleasant hippy-electronic tune. Get into it. UYD4L

That playlist made me want to do crosswords and eat eggs, mission accomplished.

9 comments:

  1. How is the Faith No More cover of Lionel Richie not on this playlist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little on the nose, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's the other band your parents got you into?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beat/English Beat/Special Beat/Special Beat service. I love them.

    If someone described them to me I'd probably punch them in the face "They are a new wave band with heavy reggae influences" Yuck! But they are awesome anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After listening to your playlist, your Sundays must be way whack. I listen to lots of T.I. and then just play Integrity for the rest of the day. Bag of McMuffins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is certainly a "credibility gap" with that response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you want to punch me in the mouth if I told you I got super excited when I saw The Octopus Project on here?
    Would you kick me in the ball sack if I suggested Her Space Holiday?
    I'm sure you wouldn't do either because I'm me and you're you and you know I am capable of restraining orders beyond belief but, I figured I should ask...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why would I punch you for liking bands that I like? I am confused.

    ReplyDelete