Friday, August 27, 2010

Playlists

Today's playlist is simple enough - cover songs better than the originals. I'm going to try to leave out the obvious ones, and the ones that have no business being on this list. As always, I'm going to make a playlist of songs that I would want to listen to.

Get it! Pennsylvania!

1. I Don't Wanna Grow Up - The Ramones This is what a cover should be, it shows what is great about both bands. Tom Waits' world class songwriting translates to ANY band, and the Ramones' pop-infused punk handles it so well.
2. Under my Thumb - Social Distortion Great song, great cover. The cover brings something new to the table, while still delivering on the original's promise. Take that, girl!
3. Kick Out the Jams - Bad Brains This one is violating the playlist a little, it is not better than the original, because I don't know if any song is. But! I couldn't resist putting Bad Brains WITH Henry Rollins covering the greatest song of all time on the list. Apologies to American Nightmare and Rage Against the Machine (whose version is very disappointing).
4. Tears of a Clown - The Beat I love this version of Smokey Robinson's classic because it takes it in a completely different direction, but somehow still manages to pull off the sentiment.
5. Mr. Grieves - TV on the Radio An a capella version of a Pixies song by one of today's most talented bands.
6. Pink Houses - Avail I had to. This song means a lot to me.
7. 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger Is this a guilty pleasure? I don't care, this is a great song.
8. Ain't no Sunshine - Wovenhand The man behind 16 Horsepower takes one of my favorite songs of all time and makes it spooky and tidal.
9. Easy - Faith No More This one is a little obvious, but Mike Patton destroying Lionel Richie deserves a spot on my list.
10. Lights Out - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones The Bosstones covering the Angry Samoans classic about poking your eyes out.
11. Holy Diver - Killswitch Engage I enjoy this song too much.
12. Like a Prayer - H2O I added this if only for my memories of dudes in basketball jersey circle pitting and singing along to Madonna.
13. Chesterfield King - Face to Face I love their whole covers album (Standards and Practices), but this is my favorite, and the one they execute best.



2 comments: