Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Playlist

I'm posting up one of my favorite types of playlists, and it probably is only the first installment. The BREAK UP PLAYLIST. A very easy playlist to gather songs for, since musicians are babies who get dumped constantly and write songs about it. Now there's all sorts of break up songs; angry, sad, hopeful, different hopeful etc. We'll see how this one plays out.

Nothing to see here.

1. No Children - The Mountain Goats
Let's start this one off with a bang "I hope I lie / and tell everyone you were a good wife / And I hope you die / I hope we both die"
2. Puke + Cry - Dinosaur Jr. It's called Puke + Cry, I think you get it. I love Dinosaur Jr.
3. When will you come home? - Galaxie 500 I love this band, they are great to fall asleep to. This is one of the sad break up songs.
4. Jericho RVA - Running in Circles "When it's all over we'll say we had it good / what a backwards way of saying what we mean" Excellent band, like if Avail and Hot Water Music had a baby. That reminds me!
5. Hot Water Music - The Sleeping Fan "I spent everything I had / and I gave everything I could to you / and I left myself with nothing but a burning mess" We were due for an angry one. Burning mess? Nice.
6. Exit Wounds - Tim Barry I think the title is unsubtle enough here.
7. Nights Like These - Lucero Being a drunk, warbling, pseudo-country band you better be able to write good break up songs. And Lucero is. This is probably their best.
8. Dedicate it - The Afghan Whigs This entire playlist could be Afghan Whigs songs, Dulli makes great, evil, heartbreaking break up songs, but this is probably my favorite.
9. O'Rourke's, 1:20 AM - The Good Life This is a song about how everything sucks just a little more when you are recently single. Their best break up song is definitely Inmates, but I couldn't bring myself to put a nine-minute song on this list.
10. The Martyr - Cursive Wow, this song is brutal. I needed to put a song on here about how shitty I am. "Sweet baby don't cry / Your tears are only alibis / to prove you still feel"
11. Don't Hate Me - The Get Up Kids This one is one of the positive, hopeful break up songs. Well, every break up I played this song during ended up permanent, so there's that. Plus I just love Four Minute Mile so much, I had to include it.
12. Rocks Tonic Juice Magic - Saves the Day Saves the Day and the Get up Kids are forever linked in my mind, so I had to use my favorite STD break up song. "You and I are like when fire and the ocean floor collide" was certainly a favorite AOL away message among girls I knew back in the day.
13. Nice and Blue - mewithoutyou "You were a song I couldn't sing / You were a story I couldn't tell /I've only ever loved myself / but I've loved myself so well" Their name is mewithoutyou for Christ's sake, I had to include them. I love this song

13 already? There will definitely be a part two to this one in the future. There are just too many break up songs out there. Or maybe I've just had too many break ups. Either way, you win.





No comments:

Post a Comment