Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nerd Rock

Another playlist, lucky you. This one is for you nerds.
Again, I tried to make a playlist that I would actually want to listen to, and hopefully introduce you to some cool music you might not know. Also, best picture.

BEST.


1. Fett's Vette - MC Chris
A rap about Boba Fett's hard life and fiscal plans? Yes please.
2. We are 138 - The Misfits "But Tony! The Misfits aren't nerds!" Oh really? This song is a reference to George Lucas' first film, THX 1138. Bam!
3. Bikeage - Descendents One of my favorite songs by the punk-nerd godfathers. I don't think I have to run down their nerd cred, but one look at their logo should be plenty.
4.C'Est Super - Daedelus I was lucky enough to meet "Daedelus" once, when I nerdily asked him if he was named after the mythological Daedelus, or the literary Daedelus from James Joyce, I was shocked to find out it was even nerdier than that. Apparently he is named after some giant robot from some giant robot show. Not my nerd forte, but unbelievably nerdy anyway.
5. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 - Coheed and Cambria This song kicks of the narrative of a sweeping and embarrassingly nerdy concept album about robots and space and all sorts of geeky shit. Their first album is certainly better, but this one fits better here. Also of nerdnote, an homage to Rush's homage to scifi, 2113.
6. Holiday Song - Pixies For a band who all look like high school teachers, they made some incredible music - a victory for those of us who look the part.
7. The Temple - The Afghan Whigs A cover of a song from Jesus Christ Superstar. Yup.
8. Hold the Line - Major Lazer You need to watch the video to fully appreciate how nerdy Diplo got with this. This song/band is based on a fictional character who lost his arm in the "zombie wars" and had it replaced with a lazer gun. Bonus points in the video for action figures.
9. Punk Rock Academy - Atom and His Package THE nerd punk anthem. Bonus points for Philadelphia!
10. Guitar and Video Games - Sunny Day Real Estate I couldn't leave out an incredible and beautiful song called Guitar and Video Games
11. The Devil and Maggie Chascarillo - Lucero One of my favorite bands doing their song about Love & Rockets.
12. Thought I was - Rainer Maria Naming your band after a German poet who died almost 100 years ago is pretty nerdy.
13. Flight of Icarus - Iron Maiden Tons of their songs are nerdy, but I had to go with the one about Icarus.



6 comments:

  1. I think Descendents-Van is a nerdier choice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I could have picked a nerdier song with some of them, but I wanted the list to stay good. I wanted to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude I love Grooveshark. I hope they stay on top of licensing issues so they can stay alive. Killer playlist. I have fan'd you and all your damn playlists on my Grooveshark account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My inbox was just flooded with this news. I was stoked.

    It took me a while to find a place to help me make the playlists accessible to my readers - grooveshark not only had the best interface, but these widgets are an awesome bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you pretty much have to include a Hawkwind song in a playlist like this, no? Or does Lemmy's short stint negate that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hawkwind is impressive for standing out as nerds in the nerdiest genre of music. The biggest band ever in that "light heavy metal" genre sang half their songs about Lord of the Rings

    ReplyDelete