Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thursday Taste Lesson

I like to think that it shows character growth and a healthier personality that I've had a much easier time with my suggestions than my Diary of a Hater columns. Feels good. Either way, Shakespeare's got to get paid, son - on to the blog.

No nerd theme today. Sorry nerds, you can't really expect more than one day. You are nerds after all. Now I have to get back some cred I lost last week. Hey ladies who want to make out with me and dudes who want to high five me, this one is for you.

Some bad ass rock and roll, because I'm a badassed rock and roller.

The Afghan Whigs

I know, Greg Dulli is an ass clown blah blah. I don't care. Most talented people are ass clowns. I have been listening to them way too much lately. They have their roots in the whole not-totally-garage-or-punk-but-somewhat-inappropriately-angry-for-white-suburban-kids scene like Dinosaur Jr. and the Replacements. Unlike those two bands, they didn't collapse under their own weight and spin-off self indulgent and crappy singer-based solo projects. Maybe Greg Dulli ain't so bad, eh? They stayed together, matured and came to be one of those underrated critical darlings - which usually means band that should be good but just sucks and critics like them anyway. But! not the case. Great songwriting, some truly, sociopathically dark lyrics and a just-low-fi enough sound come together really well for them. Listen to them!


Bea Arthur headlockin' a raptor

Brandon Bird is a genius. Not much more to say.

Enjoy.


I don't know if y'all twitter or what, but here's some folks you should follow:

@mental_floss - awesome magazine
@charliemcdowell - funny! girls are the worst! (not really Charlie McDowell)
@zoowithroy - best Phillies blog
@pattonoswalt - the funniest twitter I follow
@LitCritHulk - exactly what it sounds like





This is the best/worst/best thing ever:

Close shave, America

That's all. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment